Tuesday, July 10, 2012

I'm on a roll

For the most part, my cooking is all from recipes. Whether I find them on Pinterest, cook books, or from family members willing to share their secrets...I am not one to invent things. Last night, however I did. It wasn't anything spectacular but it was yummy none the less. Here is what I did:

Photobucket
Grilled some chicken on our little panini press. I simply put some Wildtree seasonings on it as I laid it on the grill. You could use Mrs. Dash stuff or just whatever herbs you like.


Photobucket
Sauteed 3 cloves of garlic and 1/2 shallot in some olive oil. I let it burn a little. I know your not supposed to but the burning gave it a little more flavor.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Then I threw in some red pepper coursely chopped and some cherry tomatoes, halved. Let that cook over med to med low heat for a while. Until the veggies are to your liking. Then at the end throw in some spinach. I wanted it cooked but not wilted.

Photobucket
I used spaghetti noodles for the rest of the family but used soba noodles for me. I wanted to try the difference. Throw those noodles into the veggies. I put some more olive oil and a little balsamic vinegar because who doesn't love that combo!!

Photobucket
Place that grilled chicken on top and viola, a yummy and fresh dish! The soba noodles gave it a better flavor, I think. My hubby didn't disagree but I know that these noodles do not easily replace spaghetti in our house. I like the flavor but the rest of the family was not impressed with them in spaghetti sauce. Now with some sort of asian inspired food, yes, they work great. Life is all about trying and I liked what I tried last night :).

I also made a peach pie yesterday and it was delish and so beautiful. I made it with my grandma's recipe for pie crust (which is just the trusty Betty Crocker cookbook method) and for once in my life, it worked! For any of you that have attempted a pie crust, you know how hard and finicky they can be. For one to turn out, look good, and taste good, it is a rare treat.
Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
Isn't it just gorgeous!! Oh it was so good last night as well.

Today I have been canning pickles. This is my first run at this and as with most canning, you won't be able to tell if it is any good until you open it. Later......much later in the case of pickles. Here's to hoping they turn out good.
Photobucket

I think I deserve a cup of coffee with all that work! All with love and all worth it!!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment