Friday, March 23, 2012

Start of something new

I have recently blogged about my desire to feed my family good wholesome food. Deep down this change is more than just good food. I saw this on Pinterest:

"The food you eat can either be the safest and most powerful form of medicine 
or
the slowest form of poison."

Ann Wigmore


After watching a few food related documentaries and doing lots of research to see if what they talked about was true, I am on a mission to change the way my family views the food in front of us. Being the mom, I am totally responsible for this. I create the climate for how my kids (and my husband) view food. BUT with this change I just kept seeing dollar signs. Because we all know that healthier means pricer. In an effort to help me keep track of our transformation and to hopefully give other families the tools/ideas to make this same change, I am going to try to blog daily about what we eat. I will also be giving menu's for what we have planned because menu planning is essential when you are trying to saving money. A little disclaimer: I am in no way a registered dietician or a professor of food production. I have done my own research and will from time to time I might throw it in. This is our route to making our bodies healthier and to change our kids' view of what food is.

One of the biggest things I see in our pantry that I know I can get rid of (which ultimately means that is money that I can spend on produce) is processed foods. This includes things such as macncheese, ricearoni, hamburger helpers, bisquick, soups, spaghetti sauce, cereal, and the list could go on. I want to get rid of these things. Not only are they just as easy to make from scratch, if you want to, they are just as economical (sometimes more so) than their box friends. But also as you see from that list, it is all carbs. This is not what I want for my family. We love veggies so why not run with that, it is better for us anyway!!

Ok enough of that....let's take a look at what I am doing. Here is my menu for this upcoming weekend and week:
Saturday:
           Lunch - leftovers
           Dinner - Vietnamese rolls and spring rolls with a blueberry cream pie *all found on pinterest*
Sunday:
           Brunch/Lunch- calzones
           Dinner - Steakhouse pizza with a salad *Pioneer Woman FFMF cookbook*
Monday:
           Basil balsamic pasta with portobello steaks *meatless Monday's website*
Tuesday:
           Eat around the house (leftovers or any other "things" around the house that need to be eaten)
Wednesday:
           Parmesean Chicken with quinoa salad *www.greencattlebeef.com*
Thursday:
           Spicy Cesar salad with grilled shrimp and no knead crusty bread (which is so heavenly!!)
           *Pioneer Woman FFMF cookbook*
Friday:
           Carnitas taco's with black beans
           *Pioneer Woman FFMF cookbook*


Breakfast side note: My kids love cereal and for a long time that is ALL we ever had for breakfast. A couple weeks ago I had a total DUH moment. My girls (and I am sure my 11 yr old) were hungry at 9:30am. Literally 1 hour after we had breakfast, they were in tears and begging for a snack because their tummies were "rowling". As I was talking to myself one day during my "you can't possibly be hungry" discussions, it hit me. DUH. They are hungry because the cereal isn't wholesome and it isn't made from products that are meant to fill us up. So cereal is no more, maybe now and then, but it is not coming in  our house for a while. Here is my plan. I am going to make breakfast burritos, pancakes, and some make ahead muffins **Pioneer Woman FFMF cookbook* this weekend and freeze them. Then I will make toast with eggs and oatmeal for two other days this week. This should fill those little "rowling" tummies for a while!


So as you can tell from my menu, my newest addition to my kitchen is being tested this week.
Photobucket
Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond, has a new cookbook out. It does not disappoint.

I saw this recipe and immediately thought of the sirloin tip steak I have sitting in the deep freeze:
Photobucket

Her recipes are so easy to follow (and she has TONS of pictures for those visual learners out there) and I love her humor that she has all through her cookbook. Here is what our salads looked like:

Photobucket

I'm sorry but that is just heaven on a plate. The salad dressing for this salad is simply mayo with a few tablespoons of chipotle pepper liquid from canned chipotle peppers. She added the whole peppers but I don't have a food processor, I know the tears have already fallen in our house when it broke. Anyway, the dressing is a distant cousin to crack....it is addicting. I even thought about drinking it with a straw this morning. No really I did. But that would mean I don't have any to dip my lunch veggies in so I decided against it. It is really that good.

I also made some no knead bread that turned out so fantastic that I completely forgot to take a picture.  This website ,  Simply So Good, has the recipe for the bread.

Ok so I think that is a good start for us :). A good menu with lots of yumminess. Tomorrow I will post my shopping list for the week along with some store totals.  I will also talk about my food plan because it does look different.

Happy Friday
Cameo

No comments:

Post a Comment