Thursday, March 29, 2012

What I've Learned So Far

I have always been in love with cooking so that means I have always cooked for my family. There are times when our lives get busy and cooking becomes more of a chore than a love.  But I always come back to cooking and that love resurfaces. I love the versalitlity that cooking brings and I love experimenting with all the various ingredients. But there are things I am learning as I go along.

1. Cuting out cereal for breakfast means more work, the minute my feet hit the floor in the morning. I am smart, I knew this but I didn't really. So I have learned that I don't have to have some amazing breakfast planned, it just needs to be easy and satisfying. So far my track record on fancy breakfasts' is not good. The kids don't like it and really neither did I, which shocked me.

Photobucket
This was Make Ahead Muffins from PW 2nd cookbook. Basically it was egg salad with cheese and bacon, smeared on top of an english muffin that is then broiled. Next time, I will just make scrambled eggs with cheese and bacon.

Photobucket
These are always a hit and have now become the "cereal" of our house this week.  They are easy to assemble and I always have it all on hand.

2.  Cooking and baking everything means a TON of planning. I thought I had this down but this week showed me that I had the planning part down but the work that goes into that planning is a lot. Worth it but alot :).

3. The dishes are crazy! I am so incrediably thankful that I have a husband that does the dishes but when I feel bad for the amount of dishes he has to do, it is too much! Learning how to make more dishes and dinners without so many pots/pans is my goal for next week.

4. No knead bread is the easiest and most awesome side to go with anything!! Including salad night!
Photobucket
Here is my bread getting all bubbly and airy and beautiful! Here are the directions : Simply So Good.

Even if it is more work cooking this week has been great. The kids are snacking much less and have the energy they should. I feel the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment