Monday, March 19, 2012

Yes, please

I think Laura Ingels Wilder is being channeled through my body right now. My desire to create delicious food for my family using good wholesome ingredients is ever growing! This weekend Ryan and I took a cheese making class. It was a great way to see how cheeses, such as mozzarella and queso fresco, are made, it also allowed us to obtain some delicious cows and goats milk to try at home. And needless to say I have been busy ever since creating all sorts of yummy things!

Butter
Butter is my all time favorite thing to eat. And for those that know me well, know that when I was younger I used to eat it straight out of the fridge with some sugar on top. I know it is gross to some but to me, butter is about as good as it gets when it comes to food. So with this beautiful cows milk we brought home came some lovely cream that rose to the top. What better to make than some homemade butter. Simply put it in my mixer with the whisk attachment and turned it on med-high speed. In no time at all, butter appeared. I kept the buttermilk that came off of the butter and then rinsed the butter until the water ran clear. It was heavenly on homemade bread that night for dinner, everyone agreed!
Photobucket

Homemade bread
At our cheese making class we also were shown how to make gorgeous delicious sliceable wheat bread. This bread is perfect for sandwiches! And with a little digging we found where to buy just the right flour. I will say that she used a special Bosch bread mixer and warned us that our KitchenAids might not be able to handle this recipe. I went ahead and used my KA, it did fine but you can tell it makes the machine work in ways it doesn't really like to. This recipe makes 3 loaves so next time I make it I will see if I can cut the recipe into thirds. You can also knead by hand for 10 minutes which is very therapeutic! The trick she said was the wheat so if you can find the wheat in the recipe you are set! 

Photobucket

Photobucket

Honey Wheat Bread
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup oil
1 T dough enhancer
2T millet
3 1/4 cups warm water
1/2 cup ground multigrains (can be up to a cup)
6-7 cups of ground hard white spring wheat
1 1/2 T instant yeast
1 egg
1 T sea salt

Spray 3 pans with cooking spray.
Heat water. Mix oil, honey, dough enhancer, millett, and warm water. Stir in mutli grain flour and just enough wheat flour to make a moderate dough.....it should look like a loose cookie dough. Add yeast to top (sprinkle) and allow to "sponge" for 10 minutes. Add in your egg and salt, then with your dough hook on, add enough flour until the dough pulls away from the bottom. At this point you can take it out and knead it for 10 minutes - NO CHEATING, 10 whole minutes. OR you can knead it in your mixer for 3 minutes. Take it out and cut into 3 similar pieces. Form into loaves and allow to rise in pans until doubled. Preheat oven (really don't cheat here either, make sure it is preheated) to 350 degrees and bake for 29 minutes. Remove from pans immediately and cool on wire racks. 


Goats milk
So with the goats milk I was super excited to make Chevrie. Chev is a smooth and creamy cheese that we love around this house! It is best served on crackers or toasted baguette pieces with a tomato slice or some fig preserves. It is delish. There are lots of recipes and kits you can buy to Chev but I tried this one: Chevrie Recipe. I am thinking about ordering a starter packet tonight just to see if it turns out differently. But I do love how it turned out and the girls are already begging for it for snack time. 

Photobucket
Heat goats milk to 180degrees. Take off of the heat and add in 1/4 cup of lemon juice-fresh. Let it sit to form curds. If needed, add more lemon juice to curd more. Strain in a colander lined with cheesecloth. 
Pull up the corners and tie to a wooden spoon. Strain off liquid for about an hour. 

Photobucket
Straining 

Photobucket
Mix in some yummy herbs and salt. Delish!!

Gardening
So spring has taken off and we are not looking back! The gardens are in and the seeds are ready to be planted. I transplanted the strawberries yesterday and I am glad I did. Today the monsoons have arrived. 
Photobucket

Why hello baby sweet peas!
Photobucket

I can not tell you how exciting it is for me to try all of these new (but really old) ways to live our life. The raw cows milk has to be the best change. I can't wait to see how well the garden does this summer!!



No comments:

Post a Comment