Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Yummy pizza

Last night we had pizza for dinner and it was delicious!! I used Pioneer Woman's cookbook for the pizza dough recipe and for the actual type of pizza, steakhouse. This was a fantastic mixture of steak, marinara sauce, mozzerella cheese, red onions, and steak sauce. All the kiddos loved it and so did the husband!! Win win!
I decided to try it on the grill since I know you can do that, but I never have. It was a fairly simple task and I learned that a thicker crust is much easier to make on the grill. Here is how I did it:
Roll out the pizza crust fairly thick, I just thought about the flatbread pizzas I have gotten in the past at some restaurants. Make sure to roll it uniformingly.
Photobucket

 Before I got started with any baking, I got all of my pizza toppings together on a tray and took it outside.
Photobucket

On a side note, red onions that have been wilted down to nothing using balsamic vinegar taste like candy. They were fantastic and so flavorful. It was hard to not eat the whole bowl full.
Photobucket

I coated each side with olive oil to make it easier to flip onto the grill. My grill (gas) was on high. I wanted to be able to flip my crusts onto the grill and have them cook fairly quickly. And I was right. Once I flipped them onto the grill it took about 3 minutes for them to be ready to pizza-ize.  I slid the crusts, grill marked side up, onto my baking stone that was covered with cornmeal. I quickly assembled my pizzas and got them ready to put back on the grill.

When I was ready to put them back on the grill you should just be able to slide them off of your baking stone or baking sheet. This was easy with the thicker crust and difficult with the thinner crusted pizza I also made. You learn something new every day :).

Photobucket
Here is the margarita pizza. Simple ingredients with a wonderful flavor!

Photobucket
And here is the steakhouse pizza. There are only a few pieces left so that meant it was a hit at our house. I will be making it again but if it is going to be a thinner crust, I will bake it in the oven.

Tomorrow I am going to talk about what I have learned so far from our little transition because so far I have learned alot. Things that I thought I really already knew but I still have not mastered.

No comments:

Post a Comment