Thursday, September 29, 2011

Fall with a small dose of apple yumminess

Today the girls and I are baking and crockpotting up a storm! Applesauce is always a must have around the house in the winter. It makes my zuccini bread and banana bread very moist! Plus, making it ourselves I get to add in whatever I want to along with controlling the sugar. The girls helped me peel all those apples!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Apple Pie Filling was my "job" this morning. After the applesauce was in the crockpot, I sent the girls on their dress up way to play while I got this done. Surely, canning apple pie filling would be a breeze. Whenever that little thought goes across my head, I should just stop what I am doing, grab a chocolate bar, and go sit down. It was not a breeze and ended up taking about an hour longer than I thought it would. But with frustration comes learning. I know to cut the apples into chunks, not slices. I used pint jars since it makes the perfect crisp in little ramekins. Cutting the apples into chunks makes packing so much easier. Plus I thinned the syrup I made just a tad because it was just sitting on top of the apples and not going into the jar. Again, lessons learned!! But didn't it turn out pretty :

Photobucket
I can't wait to try it!!

Apple Muffins are my last goal today. As soon as the Barney music stops, the screaming naps will start, and I can get to those :). I figured with the way the day is going, I should wait until the girls are down to start them.

I have mentioned before that I love fall. Here are some of my favorite sights around my house:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Hello Beautiful!!

Here is my latest project: my new purse. I am doing a little at a time but am hoping to get it done tonight....ok maybe by next week ;).
Photobucket
Isn't fabric lovely!!

Tomorrow I will be sharing a recipe post from our meal tonight: Beer Braised Beef with Fennel Gratin and Spinach Salad. All of these are new recipes from Pioneer Women and Rachel Ray. Yummy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment